Water is the most important ingredient for both human existence and human life. Water constitutes 70% of the human body. It is only because of the presence of water, that earth has been made a habitable planet. But due to the increase in pollution daily, this most important ingredient has now been contaminated and unfit for human use. Water is not only used for drinking but also for bathing, washing, cooking and many more. There is the misuse of water bodies, growing population, industrial development, and environmental degradation cause water pollution. As a result, it is very important to have a water purifier machine installed at home and offices. Here is the completed guide on How to choose the best water purifier.
Everyone knows that it is important to drink safe water. People are ready to spend money on buying water purifiers for the sake of the safety of their dear ones. But it is very important to know whether you are investing in the correct place or not. All the qualities should be checked before buying along with water filter price. Today, the growing market has made it difficult to select a water purifier in India. We have many reasons to be cautioned before buying a ro water purifier.
The chemicals found in contaminated waters are :
Water that comes to your tap generally contains chlorine and chloramine. Though chlorine removes microorganisms, the chemical poses a number of health problems and causes fatal diseases like bladder and rectal cancer. It is necessary to install a water purifier to remove chemicals such as chlorine from water to make it safe for consumption.
In many places, chloramine is used to clean water itself. It is formed by adding ammonia to chlorine to form chloramine and treat drinking water. However, too much of chloramine in water causes bladder cancer, kidney and liver disease, central nervous system problem. To avoid these health hazards, it is essential to use RO water purifier which removes dissolved impurities as well as chemicals to make water safe for use.
Fluoride might be good for oral health, but not for drinking purposes. It causes a number of side effects such as cancer, gum disease, thyroid dysfunction and bone diseases. Children might suffer from fluorosis and can hamper their growth.
It is the most poisonous chemical, long-term consumption of which might cause diseases less than cancer. Presence of arsenic in drinking water leads to metabolism failure and to problems such as heart diseases, night blindness, and diabetes.
Pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and heavy metal –
Apart from these metals, there might also be pesticides, pharmaceutical and heavy metals like lead traces also in water. Installing an RO water purifier helps in removing these impurities from water to make it fit for use.
Types of Water Purifiers –
1. Reverse Osmosis (RO) Purifiers:
It follows the principle of reverse osmosis to purify the water. It separates microbiological impurities along with the harmful chemicals from the water. It is good for water having TDS greater than 500 PPM. There are varieties of RO water purifiers available if you go for RO online.
2. Ultrafiltration (UF) Purifiers:
UF membrane has larger pores as compared to RO membrane. Unlike RO, it can work without electricity. It is ideal for filtering viruses, bacteria and suspended solids but not be able to filter monovalent and multivalent ions.
3. UV Purification:
UV purifiers use ultraviolet rays for the purification of water. It kills or inactivates the disease-causing bacteria and viruses by giving intensive UV rays on water. It also removes impurities or chemicals from water. It is compatible for water having low TDS.
Water Purification: What are the most essential qualities of a water purifier?
1. It should contain a Water Softener, and a Reverse Osmosis with the strength of 3500 TDS at least to clear out all impurities. It should keep the taste of water the same as normal and retain the important qualities. Also, a water softener to turn the water from hard water to soft water so that it forms lather and helps you to use water for washing and other purposes.
2. The company from where you are buying water filters online, make sure that the company provides you at least 1-year guarantee, so that, if any part of the filter gets damaged or malfunctions, you can change. Companies like Oeir provides a 90-day cash back guarantee so that if you do not like the product, you can return them, along with getting the full money back.
3. The water purifier should consume less electricity. A water purifier running on electricity and providing facilities doesn’t mean that they should continue to consume more and more energy. It should perform best in the minimum energy consumed.
4. The water purifier should be small in size and should fit in wherever space you should put it in. They also are soberly designed adding a smart look to your home and office corner.
5. The water purifier should not be complex, rather should be easy to use and very user-friendly. So that any layman can use it and doesn’t need to have knowledge of technology to make use of a basic thing water filter.
6. The company should have a very active customer service and a 24X7 helpline number so that you can contact them during emergencies. Because water is such an important factor for life, if it stops, your company should have the provision to send in technicians and make your water filter working again.
7. Take good care of your machine, check in for any leaks and damages. If you notice anything call your water purifier company and ask them to clean or give a new water filter. The contaminants that get cleaned out of the water remains stick in the water filter and if it is not cleaned after a certain period, then they will start mixing with the water. This also results in a reduced flow rate as well as water having a bad odour. Thus, to ensure the smooth functioning of the purifier, check the input water quality and set your purification method accordingly.
What is TDS level of your water?
Before deciding on your water purifiers, you must know about the TDS level of your water. There are different types of impurities found in water. Depending on the source of water i.e., lakes, rivers, bore wells, harvested rainwater, piped municipal corporation supply, water tankers, etc. the types of impurities can be decided. The quality of water, level of impurities like bacteria and viruses, and hardness, all depends on the sources of water. Generally, water from lakes, rivers, and harvested rainwater will have a low TDS as compared to water from bore wells. Water obtained from bore wells and groundwater have a higher tendency to possess high TDS and contain other harmful impurities like lead, arsenic, etc. Piped water supply or water stored in tanks is generally more prone to biological contamination. Water having TDS ranging between 150-300 PPM is considered as soft water while that having more than 500 PPM is considered to be hard or contaminated water. This type of water is harmful for the consumption.
Unsure about the quality of your water? Get free water testing now!